Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Color Challenge: Tow Mater Red


(as my 3-year-old would say!)*

Here's this week's block for the Color Challenge over at 15 Minutes Play.

I feel like every time I pull fabrics for one of these blocks, I come up with a new color combination that I can't wait to try in a quilt. What great inspiration!

My tomato red fabric (the outlined flower print) looks more pink-ish in the photo, despite my amateur photoshop efforts, but in real life it's a nice orangey-red. When I held it up the green swirl batik, I was in love. I tried adding yellow or orange, but didn't like either of those. As I was heading toward my brown bin, I stumbled across the plum-y purple, which provided a great dark accent. Yum!

Fabric choices:

Made fabric:

And the block:

Takeaways: 
I have really enjoyed working with all the warm colors in this challenge. I'm usually a blue-green girl, so this half of the color wheel is new to me. 
Not surprised at how nicely the greens play with the red. I was a little surprised that I didn't like the oranges or yellows, and that a darker red and the purple both worked so well. As I said above, can't wait to try this combo in a quilt. If only I had more of these fabrics...

And here are all nine blocks together. I kind of like them on point!:

*The Tow Mater reference is to a character in the movie Cars, for anyone without ready access to a young child. (Though I recommend the movie for all ages--it's great!)

To see last week's rust block, click here.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie! I clicked over from Lily's Quilts for the Small Blog Meet. I love the look of your blocks above. The contrast is really striking, and by leaving the centers grey you have really set off the colorful fabrics. I'm going to have to check out the color challenge you are following; very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellie - I'm here from Lily's Quilts as well - love all the colours in these blocks - I think that's the thing I love about putting colours together - they might not look that good in a pile but they end up looking fabulous when sewn together :)

    ReplyDelete